It is very important for the child to start breastfeeding within minutes of its birth. The majority of babies start breastfeeding easily. But there are babies that just lick, pause, and then suck. However, sucking and pausing is the usual pattern that most babies follow. This will be for a few hours and in some babies, it can continue for a few days.
Colostrum, the first milk produced by the mother, is the best food for newborns. Along with the baby there a lot of benefits that a mother can gain from it. This helps in reducing and stopping uterine bleeding and it also helps in uterus contraction.
First Days Of Breastfeeding
It is very difficult for every mother to make room for the baby for a few hours or a few days. But it is very important to breastfeed the baby within a few minutes of its birth, whatever your health condition
- Give proper instructions to the nurses around that there is no need to offer sugar water for the baby and you are ready to breastfeed.
- It is not a good idea to provide the baby with formula unless you are really ill.
- Using a pacifier has no effect on breastfeeding.
- In any worst condition, breastfeeding should start within one hour of the birth
- Breastfeeding should be given as and when the baby demands it. There are no rules on the number of times that the baby should be breastfeeding.
- Each baby is different and so are its breastfeeding needs
Along with a lot of issues related to breastfeeding, positioning is also one of them. The first thing that you should be doing is finding a better position for yourself. Some of the other issues are insufficient milk, sore nipples, and mothers not interested in breastfeeding.
- Find a comfortable position on a bed, armchair, or rocking chair
- Place a pillow behind your back and one on your lap
- If needed, put a pillow under your arm for best baby support.
- In initial days, there no need to put clothes on the baby
- Lastly, through a cradle hold, start feeding your baby
Along with these tips, you should follow two more very important tips. One is latch-on and the other is presenting the nipple. The baby may find it difficult to move and come to the position initially. So, you should be trying to present your nipple to the bay.
Another thing is the latch-on. You need to massage the baby’s lips with nipples. Through this, they will get the taste of the milk and start drinking the milk.
There are many things that you should be considering when you start breastfeeding. The most important thing is that, irrespective of your condition or the baby’s condition, it is very essential for the baby and you should to breastfeed within a few minutes of the baby’s birth. If there is really an issue wherein it is really difficult then, you can rely on formulas.